9News’ Nick Carter Latest Media Casualty
January 26, 2009, 2:09 pm
Filed under: KUSA, Layoffs

9News meteorologist Nick Carter is the latest Denver television news personality to be axed due to the tough economy. Carter’s contract will not be renewed, and his last day on air will be this Friday. Joanne Ostrow at the Denver Post has the details.

Very disappointed to see Nick go. Very classy guy, talented and here’s to VFR conditions in your future.

Comment by Bjorn Olafson

the loss of nick carter is shortsighted and dumb.
you hsve hired two new meterologists, becky and
ashton, and they could go tomorrow and noone would
miss them, but nick? he brought elegance and
measured reporting during some very difficult times. and he was a part of the team, a great part.

Comment by suzanne stryker

Although many things and people have chenged in the twenty some years I have been watching 9 news, the one thing I could count on was the face, personality, and professionalism of Nick Carter and to see that he is the one chosen not to re-new on his contract to me shows a lack of being in tune with your audience. Tough times are one thing, but there were other meteorologists that don’t have the professionalism or the heart for the job that Nick has. I hope it doesn’t affect the way I feel of the news cast as a whole, but there aren’t any guarantees. Nick you will be missed.

Comment by Renee Wright

I just heard Nick Carter will no longer be on the 9 news team. It is hard to believe he was the one chosen to leave. He is the only weather person I look forward to seeing. Don’t know if they drew straws to see who got the axe, but seems like the one with the roots should stay. It will be a great loss for 9 news. I wish him well.

Comment by Steve K

Here is a guy who worked his rear off for 9 news and in my opinion was always the one who got the crappy assignments over the years since his temporary medical leave a while back. He was not in to the lights and show. He is truely a top notch weather man. Hope to see him on a denver channel soon.

Comment by John Irvin

Shame on 9 news for giving Nick Carter the boot. He was always so friendly, responsible, and obviously talented. Why wasn’t one of the newer weather reporters laid off instead? What a sad day for 9 News. It might get worse for you if people decide to turn the channel. I will be one of them.

Comment by shameon9news

This is a very big mistake!

Comment by Pete Peterson

Thanks for the link… the layoffs at KUSA have gotten a lot of attention not just in Denver, but across the country. People like Nick Carter and Bob Kendrick (Bob’s a friend) are talented and dedicated, and will be hard to replace.

Mark Joyella

Comment by localtvnews

HUGE ERROR ON 9 NEWS PART !!!! NICK IS ONE OF A KIND. HE WILL BE MISSED TERRIBLY !!!

Comment by Joyce R

I miss Nick already. I think Ashton and Becky are nice looking but basically that is it. Nick had experience, personality and professionalism. He will be greatly missed and 9news has made a very telling decision about what direction it is going. Cheap and inexperienced is not going to replace what we have lost. A very bad decison on 9new’s part.

Comment by Lissa Rivero Sanders

I want Nick back! I missed his last day and I have been trying to get answers as to where Nick went. Then I found this web site. What a shame! I have been checking all of the 9 News broadcasts to see if he just changed times. Maybe you will change your mind and beg him back, his years of experience of Denver weather cannot and will not be replaced. Offer him a job of just covering special weather news part time at least. PLEASE.

Comment by Pam Mott

maybe you should axe all local news….and keep the world news…local news is a waste of time…it is the same news 24 hours a day…nothing significant happens in Metro-Denver and Denver…it is worst than East Coast News! At least in the East, you have intelligent people reporting!

Comment by Mary Ellen Rubinacci

I totally agree with everyone that 9News may a huge mistake! I hate to see anyone lose their job, but, come on, Nick had been a loyal employee for 24 years. A complete professional even in his remark that “it was just my time.” I saw him on FOX the other night. I sure hope that is a good place for him and he’s happy.

Comment by Gail Bell

FYI – Nick Carter is now working at Fox31 in Denver – http://denverprblog.com/2009/06/19/fox31-picks-up-meteorologist-nick-carter/

Comment by denverprblog

[...] 7:22 pm Filed under: Fox31, Journalism Moves, KUSA, Layoffs Meterologist Nick Carter, who was let go from 9News for salary reasons in January, has landed at Fox31. Possibly related posts: (automatically [...]

Pingback by Fox31 Picks Up Meteorologist Nick Carter « Denver PR Blog

I so miss Nick Carter and his quick wit, I watch 9 news most of the time and I think Becky Ditchfield does not have the elgance and the knowledge that Nick has. It’s hard to see older people go and have them replaced with people that are younger and less experience. BRING BACK OUR NICK

Comment by Debbie

I agree with comments in favor of Nick. He was very loyal to your station and it’s unfair that he was dumped. Ashton and Becky don’t compare to Nick. The station has made a big mistake.

Comment by Arna Pagano

Not one other weather reporter does the job Nick Carter does. He is the best. We have relied on him for years. Hard to believe 9 News would let him go….. We’ll be watching Fox 31 News. Thanks Fox! We were really happy to see Nick again!

Comment by Loveland Hay Maker

I was so sad to see Nick Carter leave 9 News after 24 years of being faithful to Channel 9. He was always there to fill in for others. I was a faithful viewer of Channel 9 but no more – since I discovered him on Fox 31, that’s what I watch every night and morning now. Thanks to Nick for being such an upright citizen!

Comment by Hazel Leininger

I absolutely love Nick Carter! I have stopped watching 9 news altogether becuase of this. All the best to you, Nick. <3

Comment by Tami McGuinnis

Well, Channel 9 is cleaning house again. They keep getting things backwards, giving the Good people the boot and keeping the people who would panic in the middle of a room full of people. I would trust Nick’s forecast of the weather any day rather than the other weather people on Channel 9. First Mike Nelson got the boot, now Nick is gone. Pretty soon, Channel 9 weather report will just say, if you want to see what the weather might be, go outside and look for yourself. I have talked with Nick at several functions and the professional that is on screen is also a professional in person. Good luck Nick and I have started to watch Fox now for my news and weather.

Comment by scoots