It isn’t quite, “Say hello to my little friend,” but “You will be fired for not replacing the milk” could be the next great catchphrase. Or not. Either way, Beckerman PR’s Keith Zakheim needs to remember that smart bullies never put inane threats in writing. They whisper them while grasping the back of their enemy’s head so that their foreheads touch. Its PR 101.
Month: September 2011
Catfight Alert – Tom ‘Troubleshooter’ Martino vs. Fox31
Who could have foreseen an eventual lawsuit for Fox31 when it got into bed with such a paragon of virtue as the now-bankrupt creator of The Troubleshooter and Martino TV?
The PRSA Colorado ‘Great Brand Challenge’
- October 19, 2011
- 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Braun’s (24th and Blake near Coors Field in the Ballpark District)
- Representatives from three nationally recognized brands (Crocs, The Four Seasons Hotel, and Smashburger) will present the audience with a unique communication challenge.
- Teams of eight to 10 people (attendees) will have 30 minutes to collaborate, brainstorm and develop a solution.
- Each team will then have three minutes to pitch their idea in front of the audience.
- The brand representatives will select the three best pitches – one for each brand.
- Each member of the three winning teams will receive a prize from the brand they pitched.
- Note: Teams will be assigned randomly to foster networking and fresh thinking by bringing together groups of people with diverse skill sets and experience levels.
- A fresh approach to networking
- Exposure to real brands and real brand challenges
- Opportunity to participate in an integrated brainstorming, planning and pitching exercise with a diverse team of communicators.
- Exposure to the approach, creative thinking, ideation and pitching style of peers.
- Opportunity to win big prizes
- $35 for PRSA Colorado Members
- $45 for Non-members
Rock a ‘Stache, Help a Kid
GroundFloor Media client Youth Opportunity Foundation‘s biggest annual fundraiser is Mustache4Cash/Color4Kidz. The concept is pretty simple – individuals sign up to color their hair or grow a mustache for about four weeks, and ask friends and family to “sponsor” their efforts along the way. All of the proceeds benefit at–risk youth mentoring programs in Colorado.
To get you in the mood, GFM’s Jim Licko has created a video extolling the virtues of rocking a ‘stache.
Allonhill Featured in WSJ Contest
Congratulations to Denver-based mortgage due diligence firm (and Linhart PR client) Allonhill, which made the first cut in The Wall Street Journal’s “Big Innovation, Small Business” contest that highlights companies that employed smart strategies to survive the current “Great Recession. Allonhill launched with a small team during the 2008 housing collapse and has grown to more than 350 employees and is projecting $36 million in revenue in 2011.
Allonhill and Colorado-based companies M&E Painting and Travelers Haven LLC are being featured on The Wall Street Journal’s small business blog. Readers can vote for their favorite stories through Friday, and the Reader’s Choice winner will be revealed in a special report in November.
Denver PR Agency Wins
- Cohn Marketing has been selected by SRS Real Estate Partners to assist with brand identity enhancements and strategy. SRS Real Estate Partners is the largest national real estate company in the country exclusively dedicated to retail services.
- Voca PR won two new client accounts: DazBog Coffee Company and Sports Shares.
Registration has opened for PRSA CoLab, a full-day experiment in innovative thinking and discussion for Colorado’s public relations professionals. The hands-on, intentionally creative and challenging workshops will encourage and inspire participants to build chemistry with other industry professionals, test their limits and expand their capabilities. The CoLab will feature top speakers, energizing activities and a collaborative work environment.
9 am – 5 pm, Thursday, Nov. 3
Denver Art Museum
SE2’s ‘Living the Dream’
Snowmastodon Project Wins CSU Award
Congratulations to the Denver Museum of Nature & Science’s communications team for winning a “Cammy Grande” award at this year’s Colorado State University Media Festival for their work on the Snowmastodon Project. The team included CSU alums Heather Hope and Amanda Bennett, as well as Rhiannon Hendrickson from Orapin Marketing + Public Relations.
Linhart Wins Awards from PR News, ColoradoBiz
If you see Sharon Linhart driving a Ford F-250 around Commerce City, don’t be alarmed. She’s just delivering two more trophies to the Linhart Awards Warehouse: PR News‘ “Small Firm of the Year” and ColoradoBiz’s “2011 Top Company.“
Denver PR Jobs
Among those hiring this week are Covidien, Denver Public Schools (internship), Development Counsellors International, Encana, Fearless Campaign, Gaiam TV, Huttner Group, Outdoor Industry Association, Starz, University of Colorado Denver, WhiteWave Foods, Honeywell (Colorado Springs), Daily Planet Newspaper (Telluride) and J.M. Waller (Fort Carson).
Johnston, Goldberg Inducted into DPC Hall of Fame
Congratulations to JohnstonWells’ Gwin Johnston and the Denver Business Journal’s Bruce Goldberg for being two of six inductees tonight into the Denver Press Club’s 2011 Hall of Fame class. Gwin founded JohnstonWells as a single mother 40 years ago and built it into one of Denver’s most successful and well-recognized PR firms. And Bruce may be Denver’s favorite curmudgeon, recognized for his work as associate editor of the DBJ and his tireless support of the Denver Press Club.
Denver’s PR Agency Leaders
If you are interested in learning first-hand what it takes to build one of Denver’s biggest and/or best PR agencies, plan to attend PRSA Colorado’s September luncheon. I am moderating an all-star panel discussion that features six of Denver’s most notable agency leaders:
- Jeff Julin, APR, Fellow | President, MGA Communications
- Pete Webb | Principal and Partner, Webb PR
- Laura Love-Aden | Founder and President, GroundFloor Media
- Sharon Linhart, APR | Founder and Managing Partner, Linhart PR
- Larry Holdren, APR | Partner, Pure Brand Communications
- Gwin Johnston, APR, Fellow | CEO and Founder, JohnstonWells
Send me an email or post a comment if you have a question you would like me to ask any or all of these agency leaders. And don’t be afraid to make them tough – they can take it.
GroundFloor Media Expands Non-profit Practice
GroundFloor Media has expanded its nonprofit practice to include new partnerships with Youth Opportunity Foundation and Colorado Youth At Risk. Both organizations aim to better the lives of Colorado’s at-risk youth through a variety of educational, mentorship and life experience programs.
5:30 p.m. (doors open at 4:30 p.m.)
Saturday, Sept. 24
University of Colorado at Boulder
Tickets: $25 to $32
The Era of the Boutique PR Agency
Social media and technology, combined with a bad economy, caused several prominent “big agencies” in Indianapolis to Schenkein*, according to the Indianapolis Star. That’d be a lesson to Denver’s mega-agencies, if we had any.
(*Schenk•ein – [shangk-en] – verb – To quickly and unexpectedly shut down your business despite outward appearances that you are doing fine.)
Denver PR Jobs
Among those hiring this week are Comcast Sports Group, the Cortez Journal, Habitat for Humanity Colorado, IHS, Mental Health Partners, MetroMix.com, Pacific Dental Services, St. John’s Cathedral, SurveyGizmo, The Colorado Statesman, US Department of Labor, Western Resource Advocates, Communications Strategy Group (internship) and Kansas State University (Manhattan, Kans.).