A new study from the USC Annenberg School for Communications and Journalism shares what PR pros think about the White House communications team’s impact on the reputation of the public relations industry. The results:
- 73% of PR professionals surveyed said the White House comms team is impacting the PR profession’s reputation. That number was lower among self-identified conservatives (53%) and higher among liberals and moderates (77% for both).
- 83% agreed that the top reason the White House team is damaging to the industry is that they “constantly change their views/statements.”
- 80% said the White House team “distorts the truth” and 63% said they “purposefully lie” (63%).
- 36% said the White House comms team members “do their best despite the circumstances.”
- 11% said that the comms team acts like PR professionals.