The Consequences of a One-Newspaper Town
June 14, 2011, 8:47 am
Filed under: Denver Post, Politics, Rocky Mountain News

I don’t know newly elected Denver Mayor Michael Hancock and I don’t know whether the allegations of his involvement with prostitutes are true. But I do know this: if the Rocky Mountain News were still here, we would have gotten to the bottom of the story much faster. I love the Denver Post, but I love a Denver Post being pushed by a competing Rocky Mountain News even more.

Very well said. The Denver Post put food on our family’s table for more than 25 years, but I could not agree more. There’s a line from an old Tom Petty song that says “I’m lost in a one story town…where everything’s pushed to the ground.” Seems that’s where we find ourselves!

Comment by Jay Clark

Where was the Rocky Mountain INN? Or the broadcast stations?

Comment by elle

Agreed.

Comment by Gwin Johnston

Couldn’t agree more – competition makes everyone better. Especially journalists. Thanks for this post, Jeremy.

Comment by Jim

Hear hear, Jeremy, D-town needs a louder/more persistent journalistic voice keeping pols (and cross town competitors) on their toes,

Comment by Jim Jonas

Well said as usual.

The folks at the Post work hard, all good people but I still miss the Rocky. It had a true personality.

It was the print version of the iPad before there was an iPad. Small, full of great content and fit great in the lap or on the plane.

Comment by Conversation Starters Public Relations

@Conversation Starters — So true. You sort of forget how nice it was to crisply turn the page of the Rocky. I can’t believe it’s been more than 2 years!

Comment by CJ Powell

A one newspaper town is no excuse for rotten, unfair, biased journalism as demonstrated by the Denver Post, Channel 9 and Channel 7. Basically, “You are guilty unless you prove that you aren’t and even then we’ll still raise the possibility that you might be.” Ironically, the only crime that may have been committed here is felony PR.

Comment by Andrew Hudson

I agree with my friend Andrew with one addition: If this were a two-newspaper town, perhaps one media outlet would be reporting more completely on how unsubstantiated sleazy grist that’s been in the mill for literally several years suddenly became a legitimate news story — prior to the rationalizing that Mayor-Elect Hancock’s poor “PR” response to the allegations made it so. This is a standard of journalism that only goes downward.

Comment by Steven Silvers