In Memoriam
June 1, 2010, 12:25 pm
Filed under: Obit

Sad, sad news – longtime Denver public relations practitioner Don Cannalte lost his battle with pancreatic cancer and passed away Monday. Don was a Denver public relations institution, having served literally decades with United Airlines and the University of Colorado, as well as having founded Colorado Notebook.

He was elected to PRSA’s College of Fellows in 1994, served as president of PRSA Colorado and was awarded PRSA Colorado’s Swede Johnson Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997. Don also was the husband of JohnstonWell’s Gwin Johnston and the stepfather of GG Johnston. Services will be this Friday, June 4, at 3 p.m. at the Eisenhower Chapel at Lowry.

Update: The Denver Post published Don’s obituary.

I’m sorry to learn of Don’s passing. My sincere condolences to Gwin, GG and colleagues mourning the loss. I still miss Colorado Notebook. Don contributed so very much to the PR profession.

Comment by Maggie Chamberlin Holben

Big loss. Much respect.

Comment by Ef Rodriguez

Thanks for your good wishes. Don was a consummate public relations pro. He actually died on Monday but the service information is correct. It will be followed by a reception at the Denver Athletic Club.

Comment by Gwin Johnston

Thanks for the correction, Gwin. I updated the post to reflect that. The thoughts and prayers of the entire community are with you and your family.

Comment by denverprblog

Don was introduced to me in 1992 by Joe Sanders of the University of Denver. Joe thought the world of Don and thought I should get to know him. I did, briefly, over the next few years, and it was an acquaintance I treasured. My thoughts go to Gwin and your family during this loss.

Comment by Marianne Goodland

Truly an amazing professional, mentor and coach. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Comment by Cathy

My sincere condolences to you Gwin and your family. I always enjoyed meetings with Don and working with the two of you. Best wishes, Audrey

Comment by Audrey Strong

Gwin, I’m very sorry for your loss. Please take my sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Comment by CJ Powell

Sorry to hear about Don Cannalte’s death. While attending Beloit College, I worked for Don in the college PR department. He was always in search of excellence in Journalism and maintained that all his life. Condolences to his friends and family.

Comment by Jan Bareis McCallister